In today’s KurzweilAI.net mailing list is a link to an article in which
British Telecom’s futurologist is predicting conscious machines by 2015
and one brighter than people by 2020.

I think these predictions are very reasonable, and the fact that a
furturologist for a major company is making this statement to the public
in his capacity as an employee of such a major company indicates the
extent to which the tide is turning.  As I have said before on this list:
“The race has begun.”

(The article isn’t really that valuable in terms of explaining things
those on this list have not already heard or thought of, but is its
evidence of the changing human collective consciousness on subjects
relating to the singularity.  Its link is
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1028029695;fp;;fpid;;pf;1 )

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12