Edward W. Porter wrote:
In today’s KurzweilAI.net mailing list is a link to an article in which British Telecom’s futurologist is predicting conscious machines by 2015 and one brighter than people by 2020. I think these predictions are very reasonable, and the fact that a furturologist for a major company is making this statement to the public in his capacity as an employee of such a major company indicates the extent to which the tide is turning. As I have said before on this list: “The race has begun.”

(The article isn’t really that valuable in terms of explaining things those on this list have not already heard or thought of, but is its evidence of the changing human collective consciousness on subjects relating to the singularity. Its link is ___http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1028029695;fp;;fpid;;pf;1_ )

I think the same guy made the same prediction when I met him at a workshop 20 years ago.

Richard Loosemore