On 17/10/2007, David Orban <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are now Department of Labor predictions of 50%-80% unemployment
> rates due to automation of white collar jobs. This in my opinion is
> not a small matter either.

On the unemployment question I remain optimistic.  If you go back a
few hundred years 90% of the population had jobs which were in one way
or another involved with agricultural production.  Many of these jobs
were replaced by automation, especially in the last century, but this
doesn't mean that the majority of the population are now unemployed.
If the pace of change is too rapid unemployment may result, but humans
are creatures of habit and I expect long held traditions to some
extent to dampen the effects of introduction of automation.