First of all, I do not believe science can allways respect past exact
definitions of words in order to make progress. How about if Einstein
refrained from publishing his relativity theory, because it would contradict
the way people normally think about time/gravity? Beeing conservative in
this aspect is the same thing as writing a program, without ever going back
and changing names, revising old code. In the end you would be left with a
mess.

Secondly, the scientific field of AI has already proved their incompetence
in producing anything near AGI. It is apparent the field is too much focused
on narrow AI, so why should we respect their narrow definitions which
probably are set up to lead us into a hole again? Basically: Screw them,
they have had their chance... ;-).

Thirdly, the definition you outline on the topic is so broad that actually
all learning systems that maintain and improve a set of solutions would fit
into it. "select some set of the population and make a new population" could
basically mean anything. The designs I have considered involve maintaining a
set of favoured model components, and combining them to produe new models.

So because I use a different definition of evolution, compared to this more
narrow form of evolution you refer to, your attack on the inneficiency of
"narrow evolution" is not directly relevant to anything that I said
previously.

Also, I do not believe that the human mind creates optimal routes from point
A to point B.

/Robert W