Edward,

Your reply raised very interesting issues which I'll have to think about
some more. I'll also need to read Valiant's paper to get a better idea of
realistic properties of the brain regarding this kind of process. So, I'll
answer in more detailed way when I'm ready.

For now, I have to admit that I somewhat shoot myself in the foot with that
estimation: I didn't intend to imply that cell assemblies are rigid (which I
did do in last sentences). You summarized that paragraph correctly, btw.

I skipped a very important issue of structure-formation, and I'm not sure
how to proceed about it in brain setting. Let's consider the following 'use
case': there are two concepts, A and B, which are originally unrelated. When
they are repeatedly observed together, they should start referencing each
other, so that activation of A alone tends to activate B. This is a more
strong requirement: in my estimation I searched for _any_ neuron which will
be able to notice regularity, but here some neuron that is _included in B_
must notice that A is active, even though A and B are originally not related
to each other.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]