> As I said above, it leaves many things unsaid and unclear.  For example,
> does it activate all or multiple nodes in a cluster together or not?  Does
> it always activate the most general cluster covering a given pattern, or
> does it use some measure of how well a cluster fits input to select what,
> and to what degree, cluster(s) in the generalization hierarchy spreads
> its(their) activation through the matrix loop?  Is it correct to assume that
> this form of sequential spreading activation can take place between massive
> number of subconsciously activated nodes simultaneously, or is it limited to
> a relatively few, or near conscious nodes? How exactly does the model of the
> basil ganglia described in the earlier part of this paper plug into the
> operation of the core and matrix loops described in its later part.  How
> does it handle sequential activations that are feed to it in a different
> order than that originally learned.  Etc.

My hypothesis is that when the nodes in a cluster are activated, this then
leads to the recruitment of other associated nodes not in the cluster, into
a contextually-appropriate transient assembly ... and that much of what's
interesting in cognitive neurodynamics has to do with these transient
assemblies and their interactions... which of course Granger does not touch
on...

Re consciousness, I tend to agree with Greenfield's hypothesis that
wide-ranging transient neural assemblies are associated with conscious
awareness.  This harmonizes well with the hypothesis I make in the Hidden
Pattern, that the more information-theoretically "intense" patterns in the
brain will tend to correspond to the more subjectively intense consciousness
experiences...

-- Ben