On 10/22/07, J Storrs Hall, PhD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Attention -- fovea -- saccade -- serial -- chunking -- frame.
>
> Those higher functions have to be there anyway. Is there any evidence that we
> can recognize multiple primitives simultaneously?

Yes. Speed-reading in particular, deliberately turns off the saccade
mechanism by which we normally read text, and instead keeps the fovea
near the center of the column, relying on the visual cortex to
recognize all (or at least a large chunk) of the words in the current
line of text, in parallel. And when we do this, we get more than mere
activation levels associated with each word - all the syntax-parsing
machinery etc still works.