Jiri Jelinek wrote  on Thu 11/01/07 2:51 AM

JIRI>> Ok, here is how I see it: If we survive, I believe we will
eventually get plugged into some sort of pleasure machine and we will not
care about intelligence at all. Intelligence is a useless tool when there
are no problems and no goals to think about. We don't really want any
goals/problems in our minds.

ED>> So is the envisioned world is one in which people are on something
equivalent to a perpetual heroin or crystal meth rush?

If so, since most current humans wouldn’t have much use for such people, I
don’t know why self-respecting productive human-level AGIs would either.
And, if humans had no goals or never thought about intelligence or
problems, there is no hope they would ever be able to defend themselves
from the machines.

I think it is important to keep people in the loop and substantially in
control for as long as possible, at least until we make a transhumanist
transition.  I think it is important that most people have some sort of
work, even if it is only in helping raise children, taking care of the
old, governing society, and managing machines.  Freud said work of some
sort was important, and a lot of people think he was right.

Even as humans increasingly become more machine through intelligence
augmentation, we well have problems.  Even if the machines totally take
over they will have problems.  Shit happens -- even to machines.

So I think having more pleasure is good, but trying to have so much
pleasure that you have no goals, no concern for intelligence, and never
think of problems is a recipe for certain extinction.  You know, survival
of the fittest and all that other boring rot that just happens to dominate
reality.

Nirvana? Manyana? Never!

Of course, all this is IMHO.

Ed Porter

P.S. If you ever make one of your groove machines, you could make billions
with it.