On Nov 2, 2007 1:19 PM, Jiri Jelinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Is this really what you *want*?
> > Out of all the infinite possibilities, this is the world in which you
> > would most want to live?
>
> Yes, great feelings only (for as many people as possible) and the
> "engine" being continuously improved by AGI which would also take care
> of all related tasks including safety issues etc. The quality of our
> life is in feelings. Or do we know anything better? We do what we do
> for feelings and we alter them very indirectly. We can optimize and
> get the greatest stuff allowed by the "current" design by direct
> altering/stimulations (changes would be required so we can take it
> non-stop). Whatever you enjoy, it's not really the thing you are
> doing. It's the triggered feeling which can be obtained and
> intensified more directly. We don't know exactly how those great
> feelings (/qualia) work, but there is a number of chemicals and brain
> regions known to play key roles.

Your feelings form a guide that has evolved in the course of natural
selection to reward you for doing things that increase your fitness and
punish you for things that decrease your fitness. If you abuse this
mechanism by merely pretending that you are increasing your fitness in the
form of releasing appropriate chemicals in your brain then you are hurting
yourself by closing your eyes to reality. This is bad because you
effectively deny yourself the potential for further increasing your fitness
and thereby will eventually be replaced by an agent that does concern itself
with increasing its fitness.

In short: your bliss wont last long.

--
Stefan Pernar