On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 12:41:16PM -0400, Jiri Jelinek wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007 2:14 AM, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >if you could have anything you wanted, is this the end you
> would wish for yourself, more than anything else?
>
> Yes. But don't forget I would also have AGI continuously looking into
> how to improve my (/our) way of perceiving the pleasure-like stuff.

This is a bizarre line of reasoning. One way that my AGI might improve
my perception of pleasure is to make me dumber -- electroshock me --
so that I find gilligan's island reruns incredibly pleasurable. Or,
I dunno, find that heroin addiction is a great way to live.

Or help me with fugue states: "what is the sound of one hand clapping?"
feed me zen koans till my head explodes.

But it might also decide that I should be smarter, so that I have a more
acute sense and discernement of pleasure. Make me smarter about roses,
so that I can enjoy my rose garden in a more refined way. And after I'm
smarter, perhaps I'll have a whole new idea of what "pleasure" is,
and what it takes to make me happy.

Personally, I'd opt for this last possibility.

--linas