On 11/2/07, Jiri Jelinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007 4:54 AM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You turn it into a tautology by mistaking 'goals' in general for
> > 'feelings'. Feelings form one, somewhat significant at this point,
> > part of our goal system. But intelligent part of goal system is much
> > more 'complex' thing and can also act as a goal in itself. You can say
> > that AGIs will be able to maximize satisfaction of intelligent part
> > too,
>
> Could you please provide one specific example of a human goal which
> isn't feeling-based?

It depends on what you mean by 'based' and 'goal'. Does any choice
qualify as a goal? For example, if I choose to write certain word in
this e-mail, does a choice to write it form a goal of writing it? I
can't track source of this goal, it happens subconsciously. If in such
cases you require to step in the direction of supergoals, you will
first pass the intermediate stage of explicit subgoal-formation which
in some cases can be explained (I want to write this e-mail, so I need
to construct a plan of what I'm going to say), and then end up with
high-level choices which are again largely arbitrary (choice to
participate in the discussion). I can't introspectively track the
causes of these high-level and low-level goals. These causes can be
named 'emotions', 'feelings' or 'magic', it doesn't seem to make any
difference (regarding word 'based' in your original question).

> > as they are 'vastly more intelligent', but now it's turned into
> > general 'they do what we want', which is generally what Friendly AI is
> > by definition (ignoring specifics about what 'what we want' actually
> > means).
>
> Are you saying that we are unable to sufficiently express what we want?

Sufficiently for what? Saying just 'Friendly AI' seems to be
sufficient to specify a goal for human researchers, but not enough to
actually build one.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]