On Nov 4, 2007 12:40 PM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Jiri Jelinek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If you can't get meaning from clean input format then what makes you
> > think you can handle NL?
>
> Humans seem to get meaning more easily from ambiguous statements than from
> mathematical formula.

Different platform - different solutions.

>Otherwise you are programming, not teaching.

Switching to less ambiguous format doesn't prevent teaching.

> > When working on an AGI proof of concept, NL just adds unnecessary
> > complexity.
>
> Do you think you could pass a Turing test without natural language?

No, but it's a positive test only. Failing it tells nothing.

> This is a minimal test for AI, without the added complexity of vision,
> robotics, speech, etc.

False

>How do you propose to measure intelligence in a proof of concept?

Hmmm, let me check my schedule...
Ok, I'll figure this out on Thursday night (unless I get hit by a lottery bus).
"Jelinek test" is coming ;-)) ... I'll get back to you then..

Regards,
Jiri Jelinek