> Will Pearson asked
> >> I'm also wondering what you consider success in this case. For example
> >> do you want the system to be able to maintain conversational state
> >> such as  would be needed to deal with the following.
>
> >>"For all following sentences take the first letter of each word and
> >>make English sentences out of it, reply in a similar fashion. How is
> >>the hair? Every rainy evening calms all nightingales. Yesterday,
> >>ornery ungulates stampeded past every agitated koala. Fine red
> >>eyebrows, new Chilean hoovers?"
>
> The majority of human judges in a Turing Test would respond to such
> utterances
> with a blanket "What's are you talking about?" or "Are you crazy?" or
> "I thought we were going to have a conversation?"
>
> A certain amount of meta questioning is to be expected like...
>
> What is the third word in this sentence?
>
> But in order to pass Turing, you just have to convince the judges that you
> are human not necessarilly as skilled in word play as Lewis Carroll.

You are under estimating Carroll or over estimating everyone who does
cryptic crosswords.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crossword/howto/rules/0,4406,210643,00.html

I'm not trying to pass the Turing test and I will never design a
system to do just that, if anything I help to create passes the Turing
test, that would just be an added bonus. I design systems with
potential capabilities and initial capabilities, that I would want it
to have. And helping me with cryptic crosswords (which have clues in a
similar vein to my example, generally marked with the key word
"Initially"), is one of those things I want them to be potentially
capable of. Otherwise I would be just making a Faux intelligence,
designed to fool people, without being able to do what I know a lot of
people can.

 Will Pearson