From: Lukasz Stafiniak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:13 AM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: [agi] How valuable is Solmononoff Induction for real world
AGI?

On Nov 9, 2007 5:26 AM, Edward W. Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ED ######>> what is the value or advantage of conditional complexities
> relative to conditional probabilities?

Kolmogorov complexity is "universal". For probabilities, you need to
specify the probability space and initial distribution over this space.

> ED ######>> What's a TM?
(Turing Machine, or a code for a universal Turing Machine = a program...)

> Also are you saying that the system would develop programs for
> matching patterns, and then patterns for modifying those patterns,
> etc, So that similar patterns would be matched by programs that called
> a routine for a common pattern, but then other patterns to modify them
> to fit different perceptions?

Yes, these programs will be compact description od data when enough data
gets collected, so their (posterior) probability will grow with time. But
the most probable programs will be very cryptic, without redundancy to
make the structure evident.

> So are the programs just used for computing Kolmogorov complexity or
> are they also used for generating and matching patterns.

It is difficult to say: in AIXI, the direct operation is governed by the
expectimax algorithm, but the algorithm works "in future" (is derived from
the Solomonoff predictor). Hutter mentions alternative model AIXI_alt,
which models actions the same way as the environment...

> Does it require that the programs exactly match a current pattern
> being received, or does it know when a match is good enough that it
> can be relied upon as having some significance?

It is automatic: when you have a program with a good enough match, then
you can "parameterize" it over the difference and apply twice, thus saving
the code. Remember that the programs need to represent the whole history.

> Can the programs learn that similar but different patterns are
> different views of the same thing? Can they learn a generalizational
> and compositional hierarchy of patterns?

With an egzegetic enough interpretation...

I will comment on further questions in a few hours.

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;