Once again, in this hot debate I see several very different issues
tangled together.

(1) The original question from Robin: will we see rapid progress in AI/AGI?

My answer is yes, and I gave some reasons at the beginning of the discussion.

(2) Will we see the success of AI/AGI soon?

This is a very different question, and its answer surely depends on
how "soon" is interpreted. People can throw in all kinds of numbers,
though I haven't found any of them convincing enough for me to arrange
my future life accordingly --- though I don't mind to hear them.

(3) Is there any AGI design that can be proved/argued to work, to the
extent that it can convince the research community?

I haven't seen any. Not to mention "the research community", no
approach has convinced most people in the AGI field as the most
promising yet.

(4) If they cannot prove it, how can researchers working on AGI have
such a strong belief in their own approach?

Because all the other people have quited long ago. Without outside
support, "confidence and belief" is the only thing that has supported
most of the AGI projects so far. In my case, since I have been working
according to my previous plan, and haven't been stopped by a
unsolvable problem, my approach seems promising to myself, though I
don't expect everyone else to share this belief, and I'm fully aware
of the danger of failure, to be found in the future.

If someone only works on "research" with predictable success, then it
is not really scientific research. It is engineering, which is good,
but different.

(5) If there is no predictable success, how can AGI ask for more
support, even funding?

Because it is an important scientific issue, and we know some
unexplored paths. I'd rather not promote AGI as something that can
bring financial profit very soon --- we don't really know that.

(6) Is Novamente the most promising AGI project?

I certainly disagree. Though I and Ben agree on many issues, and
Novamente remains my second favorite AGI project, I have been
criticizing it on a number of key issues. However, I don't think this
kind of email exchange is the proper form to address that kind of
topic, which requires a far more systematic and detailed treatment. If
anyone really have a strong opinion on Novamente or any other AGI
project, write a paper --- even just for self-publish on-line. None of
the concrete issues raised in this discussion can be settled here.

Pei