On 11/12/07, Linas Vepstas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "I see a human, better give him wide berth". Certainly, the ability to
> detect and deal with pedestrians will be required before these things
> become street-legal.

Well, I think we'll see robotic vehicles first play a significant role
in war zones (including populated urban settings) with flashing lights
and audible warning devices advising bystanders of their
responsibility to avoid the risk.

A difficulty (and this is only my limited, personal opinion) is that
as the problems become more subtle, the corresponding requirements for
extended inference increase exponentially.

But I realize that what we're talking about here are really subtle
problems, as in really quite small.

> I can easily imagine that next-years grand challenge, or the one
> thereafter, will explicitly require ability to deal with cyclists,
> motorcyclists, pedestrians, children and dogs. Exactly how they'd test
> this, however, I don't know ...

Well it's clear from this and an earlier post of yours today that you
(among relatively few others here) have a sound grasp of the big
picture, and anything remaining is just minor detail.

Makes me wonder why I tend to make everything so complicated.

- Jef