Linas,

Some narrow AIs are more useful than other.
Voice recognition, image recognition, and navigation are less helpful
in building AGI than, say, expert systems and full text search
(Google).

AGI researcher my carefully pick narrow AIs in a such way, that narrow
AI steps would lead to development of full AGI system.