On Dec 3, 2007 12:12 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I get it : you and most other AI-ers are equating "hard" with "very, very
> complex," right?  But you don't seriously think that the human mind
> successfully deals with language by "massive parallel computation", do you?

Very very complex tends to exceed one's ability to properly model and
especially predict.  Even if the human mind invokes some special kind
of magical cleverness, do you think you (judging from your writing)
have some unique ability to isolate that function (noun) without
simultaneously using that function (verb) ?   I often imagine that I
understand the working of my own mind almost perfectly.  Those that
claim to have grasped the quintessential bit typically end up so far
over the edge that they are unable to express it in meaningful or
useful terms.

> Isn't it obvious that the brain is able to understand the wealth of language
> by relatively few computations - quite intricate, hierarchical,
> multi-levelled processing, yes, (in order to understand, for example, any of
> the sentences you or I are writing here), but only a tiny fraction of the
> operations that computers currently perform?

I believe you are making that statement because you wish it to be
true.  I see no basis for anything to be "obvious" - especially the
formalism required to define what the term means.  This is due
primarily to the complexity associated with recursive self-reflection.

> The whole idea of massive parallel computation here, surely has to be wrong.
> And yet none of you seem able to face this to my mind obvious truth.

We each continue to persist in our delusions.  Yours may be no
different in the end. :)

> I only saw this term recently - perhaps it's v. familiar to you (?) - that
> the human brain works by "look-up" rather than "search".  Hard problems can
> have relatively simple but ingenious solutions.

How is the look-up table built?  Usually by experience.  When we have
enough similar experiences to "look up" a solution to general adaptive
intelligence, we will have likely been close enough to it for so long
that (probably) nobody will be surprised.