MIKE TINTNER>>>> "Isn't it obvious that the brain is able to understand the
wealth of language by relatively few computations - quite intricate,
hierarchical, multi-levelled processing,"

ED PORTER>>>> How do you find the right set of "relatively few computations"
and/or models that are appropriate in a complex context without massive
computation?

Ed, Contrary to my PM, maybe I should answer this in more precise detail.My hypothesis is as follows: the brain does most of its thinking, and particularly adaptive thinking, by look-up not by "blind" search.

How can you or I deal with :

"Get that box out of this house now.."

How is it say, that I will be able to think of a series of ideas like "get ten men to carry it," "get a fork-lift truck to move it", "use large levers", "get hold of some heavy ropes ..." etc etc. straight off the top of my head in well under a minute?

All of those ideas are derived from visual/sensory images/ schemas of large objects being moved. The brain does not, I suggest, consult digital/ verbal lists or networks of verbal ideas about "moving boxes out of houses" or any similar set of verbal concepts, (except v. occasionally).

How then does the brain rapidly pull relevant large-object-moving shapes out of memory? (There are obviously more operations involved here than just shape search, but that's what I want to concentrate on). Now this is where I confess again to being a general techno-idiot (although I suspect that in this particular area most of you may be, too). My confused idea is that if you have a stack of shapes, there are ways to pull out/ spot the relevant ones quickly without sorting through the stack one by one. I think Hawkins suggests something like this in ON INtelligence. Maybe you can have thoughts about this.

(Alternatively, the again confused idea occurs that certain neuronal areas, when stimulated with a certain shape, may be able to remember similar shapes that have been there before - v. loosely as certain metals when heated, can remember/ resume old forms)

Whatever, I am increasingly confident that the brain does work v. extensively by matching shapes physically, (rather than by first converting them into digital/symbolic form). And I recommend here Sandra Blakeslee's latest book on body maps - & the opening Ramachandran quote -

"When a reporter asked the famous biologist JBS Haldane what his biological studies had taught about God, Haldane replied:"The creator if he exists must have an inordinate fondness for beetles" since there are more species of beetle than any other group of living creqtures. By the same token, a neurologist might conclude that God is a cartographer. He must have an inordinate fondness for maps, for everywhere you look in the brain maps abound."

If I'm headed even loosely in the right direction here, only analog computation will be able to handle the kind of rapid shape matching and searches I'm talking about, as opposed to the inordinately long, blind symbolic searches of digital computation. And you're going to need a whole new kind of computer. But none of you guys are prepared to even contemplate that.

P.S. One important feature of shape searches by contrast with digital, symbolic searches is that "you don't make mistakes." IOW when we think about a problem like getting the box out of a house, all our ideas, I suggest, will be to some extent relevant. They may not totally solve the problem, but they will fit some of the requirements, precisely because they have been derived by shape comparison. When a computer blindly searches lists of symbols by contrast, most of them of course are totally irrelevant.