Mike Tintner wrote:

JVPB:You seem to have missed what many A(G)I people (Ben, Richard, etc.) mean by 'complexity' (as opposed to the common usage of complex meaning difficult).

Well, I as an ignoramus, was wondering about this - so thankyou. And it wasn't clear at all to me from Richard's paper what he meant.

Well, to be fair to me, I pointed out in a footnote at the very beginning of the paper that the term "complex system" was being sued in the technical sense, and then shortly afterwards I gave some references to anyone who needed to figure out what that technical sense actually was...

Could I have done more?

Look up the Waldrop book that I gave as a reference: at least that is a nice non-technical read.

Richard Loosemore

What I'm
taking out from your account is that it involves random inputs...? Is there a fuller account of it? Is it the random dimension that he/others hope will produce emergent/human-like behaviour? (..because if so, I'd disagree - I'd argue the complications of human behaviour flow from conflict/ conflicting goals - which happens to be signally missing from his (and cognitive science's) ideas about emotions).

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;