Bob M:Only after the
initial medical phase which could last several decades will brain
implants be sufficiently inexpensive

Well a big paper here gave a whole page to a new brain helmet for games which they claimed really worked - was effective. Whatever, the prospect of a BCI for games has to be a v. powerful incentive for development. - an equivalent of Wii. And I'd be surprised if the military aren't investing anything in this. The commercial prospects generally for anything that does work, have to be v. considerable.

Edelman claims in Second Nature that BCI/ mindreading won't really work, because, (I think), he thinks the neuron sites of given ideas keep changing.

Personally, my guess is that serious mindreading machines will be a reality in the not too distant future - before AGI and seriously autonomous mobile robots.