Mike wrote:
> Personally, my guess is that serious mindreading machines will be a reality
> in the not too distant future - before AGI and seriously autonomous mobile
> robots.

Nooooo way.

Tell that to the neuroscientists in your local university neuro lab, and they'll
get a good laugh ;-)

The future course of AGI is contentious and uncertain (though I have my own
strong opinions), but it seems very clear that mobile robotics tech is
more advanced
than mind-reading-type brain-imaging, and apt to progress far faster...

We have no f***-ing idea how to read thoughts from the brain right now
-- whereas
we do have a pretty well worked out theory of probabilistic robotics,
and are in a phase
of optimizing and tuning and generalizing and getting the details right...

What is the empirical grounds for your optimism?

Just to be clear: I am sure that mindreading technology is coming,
it's your relative
timing estimate that perplexes me...

-- Ben G