On Dec 20, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Stan Nilsen wrote:

Ed,

I agree that machines will be faster and may have something equivalent to the trillions of synapses in the human brain.

It isn't the modeling device that limits the "level" of intelligence, but rather what can be effectively modeled. "Effectively" meaning what can be used in a real time "judgment" system.

Probability is the best we can do for many parts of the model. This may give us decent models but leave us short of "super" intelligence.

In what way? The limits of human probability computation to form accurate opinions are rather well documented. Why wouldn't a mind that could compute millions of times more quickly and with far greater accuracy be able to form much more complex models that were far better at predicting future events and explaining those aspects of reality with are its inputs? Again we need to get beyond the [likely religion instilled] notion that only "absolute knowledge" is real (or "super") knowledge.

Deeper thinking - that means considering more options doesn't it? If so, does extra thinking provide benefit if the evaluation system is only at level X?

What does this mean? How would you separate "thinking" from the "evaluation system"? What sort of "evaluation system" do you believe can actually exist in reality that has characteristics different from those you appear to consider woefully limited?

Yes, "faster" is better than slower, unless you don't have all the information yet. A premature answer could be a jump to conclusion that we regret in the near future. Again, knowing when to act is part of being intelligent. Future intelligences may value high speed response because it is measurable - it's harder to measure the quality of the performance. This could be problematic for AI's.

Beliefs also operate in the models. I can imagine an intelligent machine choosing not to trust humans. Is this intelligent?

If they have no more clarity than is exhibited here then yes, that is probably an intelligent decision.

- samantha