On 27/01/2008, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 27, 2008 5:32 AM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Software correctness is undecidable -- the halting problem reduces to it.
> > > Computer security isn't going to be magically solved by AGI.  The problem
> > will
> > > actually get worse, because complex systems are harder to get right.
> > >

> > Computer security can be solved by more robust rights management and
> > by avoiding bugs that lead to security vulnerabilities. AGI can help
> > with both.
>
> Security tools are double edged swords.  The knowledge required to protect
> against attacks is the same as the knowledge required to launch attacks.  AGI
> just continues the arms race.  We will have smarter intrusion detection
> systems and smarter intruders.  If you look at number of attacks per year, it
> is clear we are going in the wrong direction.

What I am working on is a type of system that is a type of
programmable computer hardware (much like modern computers), that has
a sense of goal or purpose built in. It is designed so that it will
self-moderate the programs within it to give control to only those
that fulfil that goal/purpose.

I personally believe that this is a necessary step for human level
AGI, as self-control and allocation of resources to the problems
important to the system are importance facets of an intelligence. But
I also suspect it will be used in a lot less smart systems as well
before we crack AGI. As such I see the computer systems of the future
moving away from the mono-culture we have currently as they will be
tailored to the users goals, making cracking them less trivial and
repeatable and more done on a case by case business.

Don't expect computer science to stand still. It is really still very young.

  Will Pearson