On 1/24/08, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Theoretically yes, but behind my comment was a deeper analysis (which I
> have posted before, I think) according to which it will actually be very
> difficult for a negative-outcome singularity to occur.
>
> I was really trying to make the point that a statement like "The
> singularity WILL end the human race" is completely ridiculous.  There is
> no WILL about it.

Richard,

I'd be curious to hear your opinion of Omohundro's "The Basic AI
Drives" paper at
http://selfawaresystems.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/ai_drives_final.pdf
(apparently, a longer and more technical version of the same can be
found at
http://selfawaresystems.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/nature_of_self_improving_ai.pdf
, but I haven't read it yet). I found the arguments made relatively
convincing, and to me, they implied that we do indeed have to be
/very/ careful not to build an AI which might end up destroying
humanity. (I'd thought that was the case before, but reading the paper
only reinforced my view...)

--
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~tspro1/ | http://xuenay.livejournal.com/

Organizations worth your time: