On 30/01/2008, Robert Wensman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another thing that I guess could use some special hardware, is the ability
> to feel empathy and understand other human beings or animals. To understand
> other intelligent beings is so important for humans, yet if done in a
> general way it seems so incredibly expensive and difficult. Also, a human is
> in many ways very similar to the intelligent beings it tries to simulate, so
> it is my firm belief that a human uses parts of its own cognitive process to
> simulate other intelligent beings. I think that a social AGI system needs to
> be able to instantiate its own cognitive process in a kind of role-play.
> Assume that I know this, that I want this, and that I am in this kind of
> situation, what would I do. And then use this role playing to assess others
> actions.

Yes.  This is a kind of bootstrapping process.  First you need to just
play around and start learning about how your own system interacts
with the environment to develop a primitive theory of self.  Here
"system" and "system interactions" could mean a physical body or they
could also apply to a disembodied intelligence living within an
abstract domain such as the internet.

In robotics general tool use means picking up the tool (assuming you
know what procedure is appropriate to grab it) then using cameras the
robot can observe the end of the object as it waves it randomly
around.  Once the principal axis and length of the object has been
determined it can then be integrated into the kinematic model for the
arm as if the tool were part of the robot.

In my opinion the development of a primitive theory of self, and here
I'm not referring to more high level social constructs, is the
starting point for many other abilities.  If you can learn to model
yourself then it's possible to do things such as identify and
compensate for damage and to create multiple instances of your model
which are then applied to other beings (the "theory of mind").