I doubt that 3D object recognition is integral to 'genuine
intelligence'. Theoretically, if we had an AGI we should be able to
put it in a simulated 2D world and it would still act intelligently.

IMO language is integral to strong AI in the same way that logic is
integral to mathematics. If you think about it, human languages are
basically higher order logics with fuzzy expressions, probabilities
and context. That sounds like a fabulous description of the higher
order logic our brains use internally to store thoughts.

I haven't read any of Steels stuff lately, either. I'm not sure if any
of the language he's generating is higher order, but I wouldn't be so
quick to dismiss emergent language generation as a trick for just 5
minute demos.

-J