> IMO language is integral to strong AI in the same way that logic is
> integral to mathematics.

The counterargument is that no one has yet made an AI virtual chimp ...
and nearly all of the human brain is the same as that of a chimp ...

I think that language-centric approaches are viable, but I wouldn't dismiss
sensorimotor-centric approaches to AGI either ... looking at evolutionary
history, it seems that ONE way to achieve linguistic functionality is via
some relatively minor tweaks on a prelinguistic mind tuned for flexible
sensorimotor learning... (tho I don't believe this is the only way, unlike some)

-- Ben