J Storrs Hall, PhD wrote:
[ http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/5524028.html ]

Steve Wozniak has given up on artificial intelligence.
"What is intelligence?" Apple's co-founder asked an audience of about 550 Thursday at the Houston area's first Up Experience conference in Stafford.
His answer? A robot that could get him a cup of coffee.
"You can come into my house and make a cup of coffee and I can go into your house and make a cup of coffee," he said. "Imagine what it would take for a robot to do that." It would have to negotiate the home, identify the coffee machine and know how it works, he noted. But that is not something a machine is capable of learning — at least not in his lifetime, added Wozniak, who rolled onto the stage on his ever-present Segway before delivering a rapid-fire speech on robotics, his vision of robots in classrooms and the long haul ahead for artificial intelligence.

Any system builders here care to give a guess as to how long it will be before a robot, with your system as its controller, can walk into the average suburban home, find the kitchen, make coffee, and serve it?

Eight years.

My system, however, will go one better: it will be able to make a pot of the finest Broken Orange Pekoe and serve it.

Richard Loosemore