On 10/02/2008, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems we have different ideas about what AGI is.  It is not a product that
> you can make and sell.  It is a service that will evolve from the desire to
> automate human labor, currently valued at $66 trillion per year.

Yes.  I think the best way to think about the sort of robotics that we
can reasonably expect to see in the near future is as physical
artifacts which provide a service.  Most robotics intelligence will be
provided as remotely hosted services, because this means that you can
build the physical machine very cheaply with minimal hardware onboard,
and also to a large extent make it future-proof.  It also enables the
kinds of "collective subconscious" which Ben has talked about in the
context of Second Life agents.  As more computational intelligence
comes online a dumb robot just subscribes to the new service (at a
cost to the user, of course) and with no hardware changes it's
suddenly smarter and able to do more stuff.