It seems fairly obvious to me that a large component of "thinking" is based
upon visually derived concepts.  In evolutionary terms language arrived late
to the party, or only existed in primitive low bandwidth forms of
communication.

If you think only in terms of linguistics many common techniques used in the
movies will pass you by, and silent movies will be totally
incomprehensible.  Even worse, your ability to navigate around and recognise
common situations may be severely impaired.

This doesn't mean that language is unimportant.  The addition of language
effectively supercharges the evolutionary earlier modes of thought,
permitting advanced features such as being able to count large numbers of
things.  One of my favourite books "ape, primitive man and child" deals with
this transition from pre-linguistic to linguistically augmented
intelligence.