Bob: > The way I imagine that such experiences might be stored in the brain
is as a three dimensional fourier space, with neuron firing rates
representing the constituent phases.  A few people believe that
fourier analysis occurs at the earliest stages of vision
(http://www.ghuth.com/) and recent research on stereo vision
(http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/j.c.a.read/publications/ReadCumming07.pdf)
would be consistent with this view.

Bob,

From Huth:
"Combined with the equally well understood principles of self-organized molecular lipid bilayers, one can visualize formation of the primordial eye - as the result of light shining through a drop of water?"

Pretty at sea here, but could this in any way explain why the image on the retina is so distorted compared with the actual image we perceive? (See Hawkins On Intelligence illustration of beach photo). Or do you have or know of any explanation of that discrepancy?