On 16/02/2008, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is well recognized that as well as declarative and procedural
> memory, the human
> brain contains a substantial "episodic memory" aspect, which stores some sort
> of
> abstracted "movies" of a mind's history.  Clearly, matching of
> abstracted-movie-subsets against
> others is important, and variation manipulation processes on these
> abstracted-movie-subsets

The way I imagine that such experiences might be stored in the brain
is as a three dimensional fourier space, with neuron firing rates
representing the constituent phases.  A few people believe that
fourier analysis occurs at the earliest stages of vision
(http://www.ghuth.com/) and recent research on stereo vision
(http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/j.c.a.read/publications/ReadCumming07.pdf)
would be consistent with this view.

> And clearly, humans possess the ability to use this component metaphorically
> and imaginatively, beyond our actual experience.

This is why I think different people are able to read a book and
understand its contents, because they have a similar back catalogue of
linguistic and pre-linguistic experience.  The missing pre-linguistic
component for automatic text understanding systems suggests a reason
why computers cannot yet read and understand even the simple stories
read by young children.