Ben,

Yes I'm making the strong claim re consciousness/thought are movies-based. Yes, I don't begin to try and explain it re programs - I will do a bit more towards that soon - I just wanted to give first a sense how it could be possible, and I hope you agree that that is/has been v. difficult to even give a sense of. What I would suggest - simply by way of opening your mind is: think long and hard about why the brain only dreams in movies. That is such an important fact. (I think it's fairly generally agreed that some kind of important reprocessing and reorganizing of past experiences, as well as preparation for future experiences, is going on). It would, you might think, be so much more efficient to think in just words or other symbols as we do consciously for such long periods.

Also - and I have just begun to think about this - we understand those photos, I believe - by "animating" them unconsciously - animating the objects and people in the scene.

And if that's true, (which is presumably experimentally testable), then a) we can do it for anything, (as in - every language sentence may be unconsciously processed as a movie scene - and actually, I believe, is ), and b) I'm suggesting we *have* to do it. Difficult as it is for us, still in general largely movemaking-undeducated, (though that will change v. shortly), to believe, you can't understand or think about the world at all if you can't run movies of it.

P.S. My v. broad suggestion re the computer hardware/program aspect of all this is simply this: the only way, v. broadly, that our brain can achieve the things I'm claiming, is by being a true *image processor*, by being able to a) overlay and compare images whole, and b) manipulate them with something like the freedom of a sculptor/artist and movie editor. I've no real idea whether digital processors might not be rethought to achieve that, or whether it will require an add-on analog processor or something else entirely. And I wish people would start having ideas about this side of things - one person here actually did respond positively (offline) to my math test, and was stimulated to start thinking in hardware terms how a computer might doodle (presumably, although I can't remember) without coordinates.

P.P.S. Bear in mind that we have just (almost literally this year) entered the age of "interactive video" - as well as interactive media generally - and that is an even more important and culturally earthshaking development than that of the printed book from the manuscript. (Interactive video is still almost literally BTW in its birth pangs. It will become vastly more sophisticated).

Mike,

It is well recognized that as well as declarative and procedural
memory, the human
brain contains a substantial "episodic memory" aspect, which stores some sort of
abstracted "movies" of a mind's history.  Clearly, matching of
abstracted-movie-subsets against
others is important, and variation manipulation processes on these
abstracted-movie-subsets

And clearly, humans possess the ability to use this component metaphorically
and imaginatively, beyond our actual experience.

That much is well-recognized among pretty all cognitive psychologists

What you're claiming seems to be that

1)
In the human brain, this episodic/visual faculty
is not just one component among many important ones,
but rather the most central component, which needs to be understood in
order for the others
to make any sense. This is a stronger claim which I don't really agree with.

2)
AGI's need to emulate the human brain in including internal visual
episodic memory and associated abstracted manipulations in a critical
role.  This I am almost certain is wrong.

Then you go on to allude that

3)
Somehow all this episodic, visual processing cannot be done by
"programs."  Here you totally lose me.

Regarding why the visual/episodic component of cognition has received
relatively little attention in the AI field, I guess there are two
main reasons, neither of which are that people find this aspect
uninteresting;

1)
Computer vision, which is an extremely active area, has not yet
succeeded fully enough to let us really successfully abstract visual
forms from images, in the context of real-world data

For instance, identifying the objects in a complex visual scene
remains a hard problem for computer vision system.

There is loads of research $$ going into this, though, far more than
into AGI, so it's hardly a neglected area

2)
Manipulating and storing large databases of movies is expensive and
irritating using current technology

I would guess that as hard drive and processor become cheaper, we will
see more experimentation with the episodic/visual aspects of
intelligence in AI and AGI.

-- Ben G