FWIW, I'll note that a heavy focus on metrics and testing has been part of every
US government funded AI project in history ... and this focus has not
gotten them
very far, generally speaking ...

-- Ben G

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> MW: I believe that I was also quite clear with my follow-on comment of "a
> cart
>

> > before the horse problem.  Once we know how to acquire and store
> knowledge, then we can develop metrics for testing it -- but, for now, it's
> too early to go after the problem." as well.
> >

>  You're basically agreeing with what I said you said, which wasn't meant to
> be disparaging. You're putting testing, or metrics for testing, later, - and
> I imagine few AI-ers would disagree with you.  I'm suggesting that won't
> work - and that a new cog. sci. synthesis is beginning - just beginning - to
> emerge here.  I don't mind tantrums, but there might as well be some point
> to them.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"If men cease to believe that they will one day become gods then they
will surely become worms."
-- Henry Miller