Ed Porter wrote:
====<ED PORTER= Richard, If you will remember, I actually wrote a post,
admitting to having to eat my words, at least in part, saying there was
something to your complex systems analysis viewpoint. >
</ED PORTER>====

Yes, understood and appreciated.

You know, when I talk about the complex systems issue I feel like an engineer from Morton Thiokol who knows about the temperature vulnerability of O-rings. Take a look at this extract from http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/may2003/chal-m06.shtml:

"In the hours before the fatal launch, engineers from Morton-Thiokol warned NASA officials about the potentially dangerous effects of cold weather on the solid rocket boosters and particularly the O-rings."
"Reacting to intense pressure to go ahead with the launch, officials at the Marshall Space Flight Center took the unusual step of asking Morton-Thiokol to *PROVE* that launching the shuttle was unsafe. Normally NASA demanded the opposite, i.e. that subcontractors prove a system was safe. When the engineers stuck to their position that launch conditions were unsafe, Morton-Thiokol management, not wanting to cause problems for a high profile customer, overruled them and gave NASA approval to launch."

[emphasis added]

I feel like I am at a launch decision meeting, trying to raise my concerns. After I speak there is a moment of embarrassed silence, followed by some words from a few people who present a complete misunderstanding of what I was talking about. Then a little more silence. Then "Well, yes, but I think we all agree that this is not really a concern.... so, are we all agreed (except for Loosemore) that the project is on track for a successful conclusion?"

So when I see you write things like "Below are the most recent discussions concerning possible missing conceptual problems that might stand between us and AGI. These comments all relate to important issues to be dealt with - but it is not clear any of them represent a major conceptual problem for which we have no reasonable potential solution...", I just have to laugh.

Richard Loosemore