Derek Zahn wrote:
Richard Loosemore:

 > I do not laugh at your misunderstanding, I laugh at the general
 > complacency; the attitude that a problem denied is a problem solved. I
 > laugh at the tragicomedic waste of effort.

I'm not sure I have ever seen anybody successfully rephrase your complexity argument back at you; since nobody understands what you mean it's not surprising that people are complacent about it.

Bit of an overgeneralization, methinks: this list is disproportionately populated with people who satisfy the conjunctive property [do not understand it] and [do like to chat about AGI]. That is no criticism, but it makes it look like nobody understands it.

As I have said before, I do get people contacting me offlist (and off-blog, now) who do understand it, but simply do not feel the need to engage in list-chat.

I was going to wait for some more blog posts to have a go at rephrasing it myself but my (probably wrong effort) would go like this: 1. Many things we want to build have desired properties that are described at a different level than the things we build them out of. "Flying" is emergent in this sense from rivets and sheet metal, for example. Thinking is emergent from neurons, for another example.

Emergent would be an unfortunate choice of word. Everything in the world has properties that we observe, together with actual mechanisms underneath that cause those properties, and which could be considered an "explanation" of the properties. However, very, very few properties are "emergent" in the sense that complex systems people use that word.

2. Some such things are "complex" in that the emergent properties cannot be predicted from the lower-level details.

Correct, but ou would be surprised how ew there are: flying is not emergent (as you say below), and I don't automatically say that thinking is emergent from neurons. Don't forget that some tings are *partially* emergent: Pluto's orbit is screwy, for example, so Newton's lovely, non-complex solar system is in the long run a complex system ... it is just that the incidence of complexity is very small (just one outburst of Plutonic silliness every ten million years or so).

Almost every piece of science you learned about in school is about non-complex systems. As a physicist, the first time that we ever got to a complex property was with Reynold's Number, and nobody really talked about that in detail until college level.

3. "Flying" as above is not complex in this way. In fact, all of engineering is the study of how to build things that are increasingly complicated but NOT complex. We do not want airplanes to have complex behavior and the engineering methodology is expressly for squeezing complexity out.

Well.... that is a strange way to phrase it. Engineering does not really try to squeeze it out, it is just that because of the way that the world is built, we simply never encounter systems that are dominated by complexity, so we never have to bother with it.

For example, is there any system that depends, for its routine functioning, on the exact details of how vortices are shaped in the wake of an object? For example, could we build a computer in which the data was actually carried by individual vortices (so losing a vortex would be bad)? That would be a nightmare, so we never try to do such things.

4. "Thinking" must be complex. [my understanding of why this must be true is lacking. Something like: otherwise we'd be able to predict the behavior of an AGI which would make it useless?]

Er, no. The argument can be presented in many different ways, but the simple one I went for in the paper was this. Look at real examples of full-blooded complex systems, and ask yourself about the low-level mechanism that typically cause a system to go complex. It turns out that certain kinds of low-level mechanisms do tend to send a system off the deep end: extreme nonlinear relationships between elements of the system; memory in the elements; developmental characteristics that cause the elements to change their character over time; relationships that depend on the individual identity of elements, etc.

If you just randomly slap together systems that have those kinds of mechanisms, there is a tendency for complex, emergent properties to be seen in the system as a whole. Never mind trying to make the system intelligent, you can make emergent properties appear by generating random, garbage-like relationships between the elements of a system.

But now here is the interesting thing: this observation (about getting complexity/emergence out if you set the system up with ugly, tangled mechanisms) is consistent with the reverse observation: in nature, the science we have studied so far in the last three hundred years has been based on simple mechanisms that (almost always) does not involve ugly, tangled mechanisms.

Now, finally, take a look at the stuff that we know we need in an intelligent system. Just look at the raw components that store information about the world: concepts or symbols. Do we suspect them of interacting with one another in ways that would likely mean that the system as a whole would show some complexity? Yes: you build new concepts by allowing existing ones to interact and combine in some deeply nonlinear manner. The way they interact is memory dependent. There is development involved. There are immensely tangled processes at work when concepts are used to make thoughts (how are analogies made?). There are subtle dependencies when questions are answered and actions undertaken. The list goes on and on. The stuff of intelligence is reeking with evidence of just the kinds of interactions that, in any other system, would make us suspect complexity.

But then, to nail the coffin down good and hard, take a look at all the attempts that AI researchers have made to drive complexity OUT of intelligent systems. For example, logical reasoning is supposed to be a process whereby some existing pieces of knowledge are combined to yield new knowledge. So long as the axiomatic knowledge is reliable, the whole system is completely non-complex because the reasoning process guarantees that truth is preserved. You could extend such a system with a million new pieces of knowledge, and all derivations would be reliable. So far so good, but then the worm enters this Garden of Eden: when you start allowing for probabilistic statements, all of a sudden you are not quite certain what your statements mean any more (what exactly does "I like cats" [certainty-value = 92%] mean), and then when your system is forced to take actions in the real world, it no longer has time to decide what to do by deriving all of the logical consequences of the known facts, then using the complete derivation to make a decision. To cut a long story short, it turns out that the Inference Control Engine is more important than the inference mechanism itself. The actual behavior of the system is governed, not by the principles of perfectly reliable logic, but by a messy, arbitrary inference control engine, and the mechanisms that drive the latter are messy and tangled.

Now, wherever you go in AI, I can tell the same story. A story in which the idealistic AI researchers start out wanting to build a thinking system in which there is not supposed to be any arbitrary mechanism that might give rise to complexity, but where, after a while, some ugly mechanisms start to creep in, until finally the whole thing is actually determined by complexity-inducing mechanisms.

If you start to look closely, you see evidence of mechanisms that you would expect to be complex.

5. Therefore we have no methods for building thinking machines, since engineering discipline does not address how to build complex devices. Building them as if they are not complex will result in poor behavior; squeezing out the complexity will squeeze out the thinking, and leaving it in makes traditional engineering impossible.

Not a bad summary, but a little oddly worded.

One of the easiest ways to get a handle on it is this. When an AGI "grounds" its symbols properly, we all know that what it will actually do is to form new symbols by getting a Symbol Builder mechanism to combine lower level symbols (or perhaps raw percepts, at the very beginning).

But what does Symbol Builder do? Suppose that, way back in evolution, nature discovered that it could make a really smart brain if it put in a Symbol Builder that grabbed two symbols that were occuring together right now, and then added one other symbol that was also occurring right now, but in a different modality.... so if you see the color yellow, and a banana shape, and you are chewing your mother's nipple at that moment, Symbol Builder makes a new symbol for [yellow} + [banana-shape] + [nipple-feel]. Just *suppose* that that is how Symbol Builder works (indulge me).

Now, imagine that what happens is that when symbols are built in this way, the new symbols eventual whittle themselves down and get rid of one extraneous chunk ([nipple-feel], in this case), but that because of how the symbols interact with one another (in their complex-system way, of ourse), it is absolutely vital that Symbol Builder go by this indirect route to get to the final, valuable symbol. Always it has to take too much, then throw something away, and for some reason that makes no sense one of the three symbols always has to be a symbol from another modality. Suppose that if you try to rationalize the system to get rid of this silly arrangement, and instead get it to grab just two symbols to make the new one, or insist that it gets all three from the same modality, it just darn well breaks. And what that means is that the without it the system builds useless symbols, and fails to build up a decent hierarchy of powerfully abstracted symbols.

This scenario is basically about a situation in which thinking and symbol processing happen in a way that is very close to what we think will work in an AGI, but with a small twist that (crucially!) makes no sense. There is no "logical" or "reasonable" purpose for that extra symbol picked up at the beginning, but without it the system as a whole just does not build symbols that are powerful.

Suppose (just suppose) that nature is built in such a way that there are NO solutions to the symbol-building problem that work, unless this bizarre, nonsensical twist is present in the symbol building mechanism. If that were the case, would our present engineering techniques (or psychological studies) guess that such a thing had to be there? No, because a crucial high-level property of the system (its ability to build powerfully abstracted symbols, rather than cheap and useless symbols) is, in this case, a complex result of the low level mechanism. Our present engineering techniques would never lead us to that mechanism.

To make the example a little more realistic, suppose that what is required is not the thing I have just described, but that each symbol in the system has (say) a triplet of parameters associated with it, and some mechanisms that combine these parameters in some way when symbols get together. Imagine that these three parameters have no high-level interpretation, although as a set they do seem to play a role in what we would interpret at a high level as the "truth-certainty" of the symbol. As before, imagine that the proper functioning of the system (the proper interaction of symbols when the system is thinking and reasoning) is completely dependent on these parameters and their peculiar combination mechanism. If thinking and reasoning (in humans) can only happen when the symbols have these idiosyncratic parameters, how would we ever discover this fact?

We only ever try to put things in the symbols that CAN be interpreted at a high level (e.g. probabilties or certainty values), and which combine in non-complex ways. But suppose that there happens to be no solution to the intelligence puzzle than this weird mechanism?

I see AI people denying that this could happen, while at the same time they take their systems that are not supposed to have complexity in them, and they make them dependent on mechanisms (for example, inference control mechanisms) that manifestly are sensitive to complex effects. So while they deny that that complexity needs to be talked about, they insert bucketloads of complexity into their systems!

But, instead of acknowledging that this complexity could be unavoidable, and instead of acknowledging that you cannot insert complexity in, and then fiddle with parameters to get it to come out right (that being the ONE thing that we know you cannot do with complexity), they continue to deny that complexity is an issue.

Not quite right I suppose, but I'll keep working at it.

You did pretty well, but missed the detailed consequences.

And I probably did not help, since I just wrote this out in a stream of consciousness late at night.

I'll try to tidy this up and put it on the blog tomorrow.

Richard Loosemore