From: Richard Loosemore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:38 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: Re: **SPAM** RE: [agi] Adding to the extended essay on the complex systems problem

Russell Wallace wrote:

 On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:14 AM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The real gotcha, though is the "Are the functions describing

> the behavior deeply nonlinear". You're just not going to find that
with the

> first three.

 Actually, it's true of every program significantly more complex than

 "Hello World" that the functions describing the behavior are deeply

 nonlinear. This shouldn't be too surprising, because it's also true of

 every electronic device significantly more complex than a length of

 wire, every chemical system other than a hydrogen atom, every

 mechanical device with more than one or two moving parts, every fluid

 dynamics system that involves turbulence - and every neural network

 more complex than a one-layer perceptron, so if complexity made

 systems undevelopable, not only could ANNs not operate, but organic

 brains could neither develop in the individual nor evolve in the

 species.

 The notions of nonlinearity and complexity simply don't do what

 Richard wants them to do.

You have fallen into two traps that I have to deal with over and over.

1) The claims are meant to be applied at a chosen level of description -

jumping down to other levels of description is not relevant.

For example, if a physicist that "below the elastic limit, a spring is a

linear system", would you drop down a level and call the physicist a

fool, because "every chemical system other than a hydrogen atom [is

deeply nonlinear]"  .... the exact statement that you just made above?

If you would not do such a thing to the physicist, why do you try that

trick on the argument I just presented?

2) There is a widely accepted, broader sense of 'nonlinear' than merely

"not described by an equation in which x is proportional to y".  That

broader sense is roughly equivalent to "cannot separate the variables".

You then go flying off on a sequence of non-sequiteurs ("so if

complexity made systems undevelopable ...") which imply that I made

arguments that I did not.

Richard Loosemore