There's been a lot of argument (some of it from me, indeed) about what
type of intelligence is necessary for AGI. Let me take a shot at
resolving it.

Suppose we say there are two types of intelligence (not in any
rigorous sense, just in broad classification):

Deliberative. Able to prove theorems, solve the Busy Beaver problem
for small N, write and prove properties of small functions, construct
cellular automata computers for small functions, derive small
functions from specifications, notice what it's doing, accept symbolic
heuristics to improve its efficiency, think about said heuristics etc.
Symbolic intelligence that can, in some crude sense, copy some of the
things humans can symbolically do.

Spatial. Able to perceive patterns in two or three dimensions. Can be
used, with mods, for a robot visual cortex; image recognition; given a
series of photographs of a landmark from varying viewpoints, can
derive a 3d model and backtrack that to the 2d image visible from any
other viewpoint; can pathfind units around a map in a video game; can
make much better than random guesses as to likely folds of a new
protein chain; can animate a cartoon from the description "cat sits on
mat".

I think we should be able to agree on this: AGI should ultimately have
both Deliberative and Spatial faculties; after all, humans have both,
and there are jobs needing both, that are currently done by humans,
and many of those jobs are boring, so that humans would rather be
freed to do something more creative; so there is certainly room for AI
work in both D and S.

So we may then disagree on which should come first.

In biological evolution, S came first, of course. It was hard - likely
a hard step in the Great Filter - to make D on top of S. It was done,
still, and he who thinks we should try S first, then D, is not
necessarily irrational, even though I disagree with him.

I have some outline ideas on how to make S, but not scalably, not that
would easily generalize. So I think D should come first; and I think I
now know how to make D, in a way that would hopefully then scale to S.
I do not, of course, expect anyone except me to believe those personal
claims; but they are my reasons for believing the right path is D then
S.

Is there a consensus at least that AGI paths fall into the two
categories of D-then-S or S-then-D?