This is poppycock.  The people who are really good at something like that so
something as simple but much more general. They have an associative memory of
lots of balls they have seen and tried to catch. This includes not only the
tracking sight of the ball, but things like the feel of the wind, the sound
of the bat or racquet, and so forth.  They know from this experience which
ones went over their heads when they only stepped back instead of running,
and which ones came right to them, and so forth.

Simple example -- in tennis, at the net, you have to make split-second
decisions about whether to try to hit balls going over your head depending on
whether you think they'll go over the baseline, 30 feet behind you.  Gaze
angle is hopeless. Memory interpolation / experience works great.

Why do you think it takes ten years of full time application and practice to
become expert at any given human pursuit?

BTW, Simon is the only Nobel laureate among the founding fathers of classical
AI, and it was for bounded rationality. Anyone with a hope of a prayer of a
claim to AI literacy ought to know about it.