Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote

"Dr. Matthias Heger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The interesting question is how we learn the basic nouns like "ball"
> or "cat", i.e. abstract  concepts for objects of our environment.
> How do we create the basic patterns?

A child sees a ball, hears the word "ball", and associates them by
Hebb's rule.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The hebb rule only explains how we associate patterns.
It does not explain completely how we create pattern.

If a child sees one ball it has many special features that are irrelevant
for the abstract concept of "ball" i.e. connected matter which parts of the
surface have a common distance r from a midpoint.

Features like the colors on the ball, the reflexion of light, the value of r
or the position of the ball's midpoint in space do not belong to the concept
of a ball.

Remember that we get 10000000 bits per second from the eyes.
But a child extracts very soon from very few examples the right conception
of  a ball.

And even if the ball is a relative simple object. It cannot be understood
from seeing alone. The child has to move around the ball or has to move the
ball to get the information. In a sense it must do some research to
understand what a ball really is.

So the hebb rule is surely important how we associate patterns.
But I think it is only the tip of an iceberg.