--- "Dr. Matthias Heger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So the medium layers of AGI will be the most difficult layers.

I think if you try to integrate a structured or O-O knowledge base at
the top and a signal processing or neural perceptual/motor system at
the bottom, then you are right.  We can do a thought experiment to
estimate its cost.  Put a human in the middle and ask how much effort
or knowledge is required.  An example would be translating a low-level
natural language question to a high level query in SQL or Cycl or
whatever formal language the KB uses.

I think you can see that for a formal representation of common sense
knowledge, that the skill required for this interface is at a higher
level than the knowledge actually represented at the top level.  If
this knowledge was stored in the human brain, then it could be
retrieved faster, and by someone who had no special skills in
understanding a formal language.

But there are still some applications where this design makes sense.
One example would be a calculator.  At the low level, you have a
question like "how many square inches in a third of an acre?"  The
middle level converts this to an equation and punches the numbers into
the top level calculator.  This is preferable to the human doing the
arithmetic.  A database would be another example.

Where it doesn't make sense is when the top level is doing something
that humans are already good at.  It would make more sense to figure
out how humans learn and represent common sense instead of guessing.
We can do experiments in cognitive psychology.  What can people learn?
remember? perceive?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]