--- "Dr. Matthias Heger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The hebb rule only explains how we associate patterns.
> It does not explain completely how we create pattern.
>
> If a child sees one ball it has many special features that are
> irrelevant
> for the abstract concept of "ball" i.e. connected matter which parts
> of the surface have a common distance r from a midpoint.

Repeat the trial many times.  Out of the thousands of perceptual
features present when the child hears "ball", the relevant features
will reinforce and the others will cancel out.

The concept of "ball" that a child learns is far too complex to
manually code into a structured knowledge base.  An orange is round but
not a ball.  An American football is not round.  Knowing that a ball is
a sphere does not help an AI viewing a small video of a tennis or
badminton match know that the single yellow pixel moving across the
image is a ball but the white pixel is not.

> Remember that we get 10000000 bits per second from the eyes.
> But a child extracts very soon from very few examples the right
> conception of a ball.

The retina uses low level feature detection of spots, edges, and
movement to compress 137 million pixels down to 1 million optic nerve
fibers.  By the time it gets through the more complex feature detectors
of the visual cortex and into long term memory, it has been compressed
down to 2 bits per second.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]