Jim,

I doubt that your "specification" equals my "individualization".
If I want to be able to recognize the individuals,  Curtis/Brian/Carl/ and
Billi Bromer,only images will do it:

http://www.dunningmotorsales.com/IMAGES/people/Curtis%20Bromer.jpg
http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/socialdiary/2006/02_27_06/images/BRomer-Sir-PThomas.jpg
http://www.stellarsales.com/images/carl3.jpg
http://www.dec-sped.org/images/executiveboard/Billi_Bromer.jpg

If you'd like to try a logical, verbal, mathematical description of any oneof
those individuals, so that someone will be sure to recognize them, be my guest
:).

That's why they put photos on your passport and not program printouts or verbal
descriptions.

"All the words in the world won't tell you what a bucket looks like."
McLuhan

  Jim/MT:,

  "The "making sense" level of your brain - an AGI that works - is
  the level that seeks individual examples (and exceptions) for every
  generalization.

  A general intelligence doesn't just generalize, it individualizes. It can
  talk not just about "the field of AGI" but about Boris K, Ben G., Stephen
  Reed, etc etc.  And it has to, otherwise those generalizations don't "make
  sense".

  I'm stressing this because so many people's ideas about AGI ...
  involve only, or almost only a generalizing intelligence with no
  individualizing, sensemaking level."

  I agree with what Mike was saying in the part of his message I quoted here,
except that the ability to understand involves the ability to make
generalizations.  But, a generalization can be seen as a specific relative to
another level of generalization.  I also think most people who have been
seriously involved in AI and who think of AI in terms of generalization realize
that specification must play an important role in understanding.
  Jim Bromer