Joe,

Thanks for reply - yes, I thought you meant something like this, but it's good
to have it spelled out.

I think you're making what seems to me to be a v. common mistake among AGI-ers.
Yes, you can reduce any image whatsoever on a computer screen, to some set of
mathemetical formulae/properties. You can reduce it to so many lines, points,
triangles, fractals etc. etc

But that's not the problem.

The problem is: how do you do that *systematically* for a SET of images (not
just one)? How can you guarantee (or come anywhere remotely close) that your
system of GEOMETRIC FORM analysis will be able to recognize the same OBJECT
FORMS in many different images?  -   that by breaking complex images down into
all those lines, points etc in whatever way you choose,  you will be able to
recognize, say, the faces, noses, mouths, necks etc in several, different
images? Or the plastic bags in them?

To focus the problem - in admittedly a v. difficult form (but hopefully it will
help you focus better) -  how will your *geometric* system recognize the faces
and their parts in this set of images, as humans can:

http://cr.middlebury.edu/public/spanish/sp371/images/esperpento/goya_viejos.jpg
http://www.thebestlinks.com/images/2/2f/El_Greco.jpg
http://www.nzine.co.nz/images/articles/picasso_lg.jpg
http://www.roussard.com/media/oeuvres/modigliani/lithos/modiglianiIMGP6719.jpg
http://www.gerard-schurmann.com/bacon.jpg
http://aphrabehn.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/scarfe1.jpg
http://www.oppdalfilmklubb.no/img/the-wall.jpg
http://www.frederickwildman.com/wildmansite/wmphp/images/hugel/10large.jpg
http://internat.martinique.free.fr/images/le_sommeil-salvador_dali.jpg

(Note that even a set of ordinarily photographed faces in different positions
will still present all kinds of recognition problems).

How IOW do you equate an OBJECT FORM like that of face/ nose/ mouth/ chair/
tree/ oak/ handbag etc. etc. with GEOMETRIC FORMS?

I am pretty sure that no such equation is possible, period -  given that
objects can take a  vast if not infinite range of forms from different
POV's.and in different positions.

And that surely is what the history of failures in visual object recognition
tells us. (What BTW is *your* explanation of that history of failure? It is
rather surprising (no?) that so many AGI-ers can state that images can
definitely be analysed geometrically, given the field's striking lack of
success here. Surely a certain amount of questioning and
soul-or-some-part-of-brain-searching is in order here).

I think it's worth thrashing this subject out, because it keeps cropping up
here and elsewhere and is so important - and you seem like a reasonable guy, so
maybe we (& anyone else) can do that. I think my distinction between geometric
form and object form is v. helpful for discussions here, & it may not be at all
new, but it doesn't seem to be commonplace.

P.S. Yes, bucket is a simple object - and it's conceivable that a lot of people
might come up with similar mental visualisations of the concept - but even then
you might be surprised - and McLuhan's point  was re WORD descriptions of
buckets and other objects. If you think you can describe it or almost any other
object verbally, be my guest :).

Even recognising the buckets in different images - (and therefore developing a
viable equation of bucket with geometric forms) - strikes me as no simple task
for a computer:

http://classroomclipart.com/images/gallery/New/Clipart3/paint_brush.jpg
http://www.craftamerica.com/images/products/6500_75_rusty_tin_bucket.jpg
http://christopher-pelley.abbozzogallery.com/images/red%20bucket.jpg
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/487639/2/istockphoto_487639_bucket_and_spade.jpg
http://z.about.com/d/hotels/1/0/l/G/bucket.jpg
http://www.bobjonespaintings.com/large%20images/bucket.jpg
http://www.jenklairkids.com/Eshop/products/girl_dog_bucket.jpg
http://annievic.accountsupport.com/images/beachrosebucket.jpg
http://www.entretienardiz.com/images/cleaning_bucket.jpg

  Well, I figured the point of the question would be pretty clear seeing as you
were claiming a logical/mathematical description of images would be inadequate,
but I don't think that could be further from the truth...

  You could recreate a large amount of detail in an image using mathematics and
it would be a great deal more compact of a description than a bitmap
representation. AND, you could store the mathematical properties of the image
in a DB of some sort to find similar shapes within a large body of images.

  When you remember scenes from years ago, it is unlikely that you remember
which way the grain of the wood was facing, or how many scratches were on the
left side of a corner table's handle... so why not represent them in a similar
manner as vector images?

  Using a mathematical description would allow for a more compact, searchable,
and inference-available representation.

  To me, keeping a little box of mathematical expressions to describe an image
is a far better choice of both memory and potential processing power than to
lug around a bitmap or any sort, unless you want to store the image in case you
find another way to interpret it.

  Though humans don't remember everyday scenes through mathematical
description, we do prune out the irrelevant stuff by only remembering general
shapes, common textures, and orientations (unless we make it a priority to
remember specific features).

  Mathematical equations and logical statements might not tell YOU a lot about
an image, but if someone were to sit down and carefully describe an image using
logical statements, equalities, and mathematical expressions, and if someone
were to sit down and carefully read these... with time the image would emerge,
though we humans aren't suited for this task, a machine will be more than
capable, and it would be a much wiser use of resources.

  - Joe