Vladimir Nesov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This misses the point I think.

It all has to do with the mistake of *imposing* simplicity on something by
making a black-box model of it.

For example, the Ptolemy model of planetary motion imposed a 'simple' model
of the solar system in which everything could be explained by a set of
nested epicycles.  There would have been no need to use any other model
because in principle those epicycles could have been augmented to infinite
depth, to yield as good a fit to the data as you wanted.

That is a black-box model of the solar system because it stuffs all the real
complexity inside a black box and then models the black box with a
simplistic formalism.  If all you care about is getting a precise model of
planetary movement across the sky, this would be (and was!) the simplest
model anyone could ask for.

But it was wrong.  It was wrong because it obscured the real situation.  The
real situation could not be understood without inventing a whole new type of
mathematics (calculus) and discovering a new law of nature (universal
gravitation).  By any measure, that combination of calculus and gravitation
was a more "complicated" explanation.

Anyone at the time who knew that Isaac Newton was trying to do could have
dismissed his efforts and said "Idiot!  Planetary motion is simple.  Ptolemy
explained it in a simple way.  I use simplicity-preferring prior, so
epicycles are good enough for me."

And if that same person insisted that there SHOULD be a simple model of
planetary motion (where "simple" meant 'as simple as epicycles") would have
been insisting that an explanation as complicated as calculus and
gravitation was in some sense bad or unparsimonious.

In the long run, of course, gravity plus calculus was perceived as being
'simple' and elegant in the extreme.  But that is not the point, because
before it was discovered it could have been criticised as being far, far
more complicated than the epicycle explanation.

I could argue that your example is a strawman, but it's not a very
relevant issue. My point is that you have to have some prior, and
prior that prefers simplicity is as good as any (or better, by
exploiting implicit statistics-gathering during notation-building). If
you do have some additional information that says that this particular
distribution is not good enough, it should be updated. Probability
expresses incompleteness of knowledge. To believe that you need
something more complex, you need evidence.

The example was a strawman?

It was a precise analogue of the situation we are talking about, so calling it a strawman, or calling it irrelevant, is just a way of avoiding what I said.

I was refering to a specific attitude among some people who claim that the function of a neuron can be completely modelled by treating it as a black box and using a bayesian model to capture its I/O function.

There are two points at the heart of the debate.

First, even those people who claim that the neuron is really "simple" (e.g. J Andrew Rogers) have not, in fact, modelled real neurons in enough detail to be able to say that they understand them completely. There are many different types of neurons, and the exact layout of the connections to individual neurons has not been mapped except in simple cases such as the sea-slug (Aplysia) and the squid. So the claim is at best a "we could do it in principle" claim, not a "we have actually modelled all known types of neurons in enough detail to exactly reproduce their firing patterns" claim. One of the reasons this matters is that, as I said before, there have been arguments that the exact layout of synapses in the dendritic tree may be important in the processing carried out by the neuron ... and most current models neglect this completely, pretending that the tree is just an amorphous arrival point for all signals. If the tree matters, then all of those older models need to be trashed.

Second, even if we did have a complete catalog of neuron behaviors (with exact information about tree layout, timing, etc etc), and even if someone were to produce a complete bayesian model of all of the neurons in that catalog, the result would only be an "epicycle-like" model of the neuron. You will notice that in that recent article that was mentioned on the parallel thread to this one ("Re: [agi] news bit: Is this a unified theory of the brain? ......") the people who had reservations about the bayesian claim of a unified theory made exactly the point that I am making: they criticised that kind of model for being non-falsifiable.

This non-falsifiability is exactly what I was referring to when I used the epicycle example: you cannot criticise the epicycle model of planetary motion because the model is infinitely flexible! It can explain anything, because it is built in such a way that parameters can be added to it to fit any data. Scientifically, this is a barren exercise, as we have come to understand. So the example I chose was not a strawman at all, but an exact summary of what other people (not just me) are saying about this kind of 'modelling' of neuron function.

In your comments above you say things that make no sense, it seems to me: what do you refer to when you say that "you have to have some prior"? Is this a bayesian prior that you have in mind? I don't understand how that can relate to the issue of *how* you go about chosing between scientific models. The Newtonian model of planetary motion is not 'simpler' than the epicycle model, if you take a very crude measure of what 'simple' means in this context. And yet, in another way there are many physicists who would say that in a deep way, the Newtonian model *is* simpler, because it is less arbitrary, more testable, and has fewer free parameters.

In this context, all of what you say above can be summarized as "If you think that the epicycle model of neuron function is incomplete, you need evidence." And my reply would be: I am not claiming that it is incomplete, only that it is not falsifiable, and scientifically barren.

Richard Loosemore