On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Russell Wallace
>> Indeed, but becoming more efficient at processing evidence is
>> something that requires being embedded in the environment to which the
>> evidence pertains.
>
> Why is that?

For the reason I explained earlier. Suppose program A generates
candidate programs B1, B2... that are conjectured to be more efficient
at processing evidence. It can't just compare their processing of
evidence with the correct version, because if it knew the correct
results in all cases, it would already be that efficient itself. It
has to try them out.