Ed:Another reason for optimism is Hintons new work described in papers such as
"Modeling image patches with a directed hierarchy of Markov random fields"
by Simon Osindero and Geoffrey Hinton and the Google Tech Talk at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyzOUbkUf3M.  Hinton has shown how to
automatically learn hierarchical neural nets that have 2000 hidden nodes in
one layer, 500 in the next, and 1000 in the top layer

Comment from a pal on Hinton who was similarly recommended on slashdot:(I'm ignorant here):

"I also took a closer look at the Hinton stuff that the slashdot poster made reference to. To call this DBN stuff highly advanced over Hawkins is ridiculous. I looked at it already a couple of months ago. It took Hinton ***17-years*** - by his own admission - to figure out how to build a connectionist net that could reliably identify variations of handwritten numbers 1-9. And it's gonna take him about a MILLION more years to do general AI with this approach. Gakk. To me, the biggest problem with connectionist networks is all they ever solve are toy problems - and it's 20 years after connectionism become popular again."