Brad Paulsen wrote:
Richard,

I think I'll get the older Waldrop book now because I want to learn more about the ideas surrounding complexity (and, in particular, its association with, and differentiation from, chaos theory) as soon as possible. But, I will definitely put an entry in my Google calendar to keep a lookout for the new book in 2009.

Thanks very much for the information!

Cheers,

Brad

You're welcome. I hope it is not a disappointment: the subject is a peculiar one, so I believe that it is better to start off with the kind of journalistic overview that Waldrop gives. Let me know what your reaction is.

Here is the bottom line. At the core of the complex systems idea there is something very significant and very powerful, but a lot of people have wanted it to lead to a new science just like some of the old science. In other words, they have wanted there to be a new, fabulously powerful 'general theory of complexity' coming down the road.

However, no such theory is in sight, and there is one view of complexity (mine, for example) that says that there will probably never be such a theory. If this were one of the traditional sciences, the absence of that kind of progress toward unification would be a sign of trouble - a sign that this was not really a new science after all. Or, even worse, a sign that the original idea was bogus. But I believe that is the wrong interpretation to put on it. The complexity idea is very significant, but it is not a science by itself.

Having said all of that, there are many people who so much want there to be a science of complexity (enough of a science that there could be an institute dedicated to it, where people have real jobs working on 'complex systems'), that they are prepared to do a lot of work that makes it look like something is happening. So, you can find many abstract papers about complex dynamical systems, with plenty of mathematics in them. But as far as I can see, most of that stuff is kind of peripheral ... it is something to do to justify a research program.

At the end of the day, I think that the *core* complex systems idea will outlast all this other stuff, but it will become famous for its impact on oter sciences, rather than for the specific theories of 'complexity' that it generates.

We will see.

Richard Loosemore

Richard Loosemore wrote:
Brad Paulsen wrote:
Or, maybe...

"Complexity: Life at the Edge of Chaos"
Roger Lewin, 2000 $10.88 (new, paperback) from Amazon (no used copies)
Complexity: Life at the Edge of Chaos by Roger Lewin (Paperback - Feb 15, 2000)

Nope, not that one either!

Darn.

I think it may have been Simplexity (Kluger), but I am not sure.

Interestingly enough, Melanie Mitchell has a book due out in 2009 called "The Core Ideas of the Sciences of Complexity". Interesting title, given my thoughts in the last post.

Richard Loosemore