Terren Suydam wrote:
Hi Richard,

I'll de-lurk here to say that I find this email to be utterly reasonable, and
that's with my crackpot detectors going off a lot lately, no offense to you of
course.

I do disagree that complexity is not its own science. I'm not wedded to the idea, like the folks you profile in your email, but I think its contribution has been small because it's in its infancy. We've been developing reductionist tools for hundreds of years now. I think we're in the equivalent of the pre-calculus days when it comes to complexity science. And we haven't made much progress because the traditional scientific method depends on direct causal linkages. On the contrary, complex systems exhibit behavior at a global level that is not predictable from the local level... so there's a causal relationship only in the weakest sense. It's much more straightforward, I think, to say that the two levels, the global and the local, are "causally orthogonal" to one another. Both levels can be described by completely independent causal dynamics. It's a new science because it's a new method. Isolating variables to determine relationships doesn't lend itself well to massively parallel networks that are just lousy with feedback, because it's impossible to hold the other values still, and worse, the behavior is sensitive to experimental noise. You could write a book on the difference between the traditional scientific method and the methods for studying complexity. I'm sure it's been done, actually.
The study of complexity will eventually fulfill its potential as a new science,
because if we are ever to understand the brain and the mind and model them with
any real precision, it will be due to complexity science *as much as*
traditional reductionist science. We need the benefit of both to gain real
understanding where traditional science has failed.

Our human minds are simply too limited to grasp the enormity of the scale of
complexity within a single cell, much less a collection of a few trillion of
them, also arranged in an unfathomably complex arrangement.

The idea that complexity science will *not* figure prominently into the study
of the body, the brain, and the mind, is an absurd proposition to me. We will
be going in the right direction when more and more of us are simulating
something without any clue what the result will be.

That's all for now... thanks for your post Richard.

Thanks Terren

Yes, in my more optimistic moments I believe that a full science of complexity will come about. It may redefine the meaning of 'science' though.

My scepticism comes mostly from my personal observation that each complex systems scientist I come across tends to know about one breed of complex system, and have a great deal to say about that breed, but when I come to think about my preferred breed (AGI, cognitive systems) I cannot seem to relate their generalizations to my case.

That is not to say that things will not converge, though. I should be careful not to prejudge something so young.

Richard Loosemore